N.E.W.S. lighthouses ride
This is one of the more challenging rides which can be completed in the UK, visiting each of four lighthouses in a specific order - North, East, West & South. There are two versions of this ride, same route but must be completed in either 55 or 48 (Gold) hours. The full rules and rider guidance documents are here.
Following lighthouses to be visited in this order.
- 1. Dunnet Head, Caithness. [ N58 40.229 W3 22.582 ]
- 2. Lowestoft, Suffolk. [ N52 29.288 E1 45.464 ]
- 3. Inverness (receipt only)
- 4. Neist Point, Skye ** [ N57 25.541 W6 47.022 ]
- 5. Inverness (receipt only)
- 6. Lizard. [ N49 57.656 W5 12.229 ]
The clock starts with your photo at Dunnet Head and stops with your photo at the Lizard. No ferries may be used & you'll need to provide proof of your route in the usual way.
A sheet must be maintained containing odo reading and receipt time at each location and must appear in each of the photos.
- Receipts to be obtained in the vicinity of locations 1 (Thurso), 2 (Lowestoft), 4 (Skye) & 6 (Helston) before taking the lighthouse photographs.
- Spotwalla trace will make verification more accurate.
- Locations 1,2,3,5 and 6 can be visited at any time.
- ** Location 4, Skye, involves a demanding walk and the photo must be taken from footpath on the ridge between the car park and lighthouse, about 400 metres from the car park. Must be visited during daylight hours due to remote location and access restrictions.
Alternative photos for bad weather / night
- Photo at location 1 can be replaced with photo of RSPB notice board at location.
- Photo at location 2 can be replaced with photo of Maritime museum at GPS location.
- Photo location 6 can be replaced with a photo of the Lizard Lighthouse gates showing name.